Celebrating over 20 years of bringing Asia to the world, the Images of Asia (IOA) Competition by Asian Geographic has been enjoyed by readers, photography legends and enthusiasts for the past 16 years with a singular focus on vitality and diversity of Asia through imaging.
Exclusively for the 2022 edition, featuring the Department of Tourism of the Philippines and the Tourism Promotion Board Philippines as the Official Adventure Destination Partner, the winning participant/s will be invited and hosted* to “wake up” and experience the Philippines – as they say, “It’s More Fun in the Philippines”!
Calling for entries: If your photography genre fits into street/people, landscape, wildlife, photojournalism, ocean, food; your medium is on DSLR or mobile, or you have short films showcasing the finest of Asia, and whether you are a professional or an aspirer, submit your best photos, videos, or short films of Asia now!
Stay tuned for more updates on the prizes here!
Interested partners, please do not hesitate to connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bringing Asia to the World – Celebrate the Vitality and Diversity of Asia
Anything under the sun in Asia: the mundane, the unusual, or the unexpected.
Asia is home to vastly diverse landscapes. We want to see your interpretation of them whether natural or man-made.
They walk, crawl, swim, fly or not move at all. Capture plants or animals on land or in water. Wide-angle or macro doesn’t matter as long as your shot inspires appreciation for the beauty of life forms that share the planet with us.
Seeing things in black, white and greys. Showcase your best shots ranging from images of people to landscape, architecture and skyline photography, and more, in monochrome mode.
This arena welcomes participants who are below 21 years old to submit works interpreting Asia in all categories mentioned.
Showcase the aesthetic and sensual side of food, be it their colours, patterns, the concept or the context of the food that spurns the dynamic life in Asia.
- [NEW] Mobile
Show us the power of mobile technologies, and their capabilities in capturing stunning photographs
- [NEW] Short Films
Seeking out all film lovers, filmmakers, film and cultural institutions working on Asian and Southeast Asian cinema to participate to create a visual voice on Asia or Southeast Asia for groundbreaking Asian Cinema in Singapore and the region.
- Photography – Mirrorless Camera/DSLR
- Photography – Mobile (iPhone/Android)
- [NEW] Videography – Mirrorless Camera/DSLR/Camcorder/GoPro*
- [NEW] Videography – Mobile (iPhone/Android)*
* Video submissions must fulfil at least 60 seconds.
Submissions close on Thursday, September 1, 2022, at 23:59PM (GMT+8).
- Winners of Images of Asia Monthly will have their winning image entered into this annual competition for free, as well as being entitled to 3 complimentary submissions to this annual competition.
- Subscribers to our printed version of ASIAN Geographic may submit up to five photos for free. For each additional photo, a US$10 submission fee will be charged.
- E-Magazine subscribers may submit up to three photos for free. For each additional photo, a US$10 submission fee will be charged.
- Submissions from the postponed IOA 2019, 2020 will be carried forward to IOA 2021. Affected participants who paid for submissions are contacted via email and entitled to complimentary submissions matching the number of their original submissions (e.g. 5 free entries for the year 2020 to match 5 paid entries in the year 2019).
- Non-subscribers will be charged a submission fee of US$10 per photo. If a non-subscriber submits three photos (US$30) and more, they will automatically receive a one-year e-Magazine subscription free of charge (worth US$16.99).
- Colour Mode: RGB
- File Format: JPG (we do not process RAW files)
- JPG Compression: High Quality (low compression)
- Dimensions: 14″/35cm (at 300 dpi) or 4100px in the longest dimension (regardless of whether it is a portrait or landscape image)
- Colour Mode: RGB
- File Format: MOV, MP4 in resolution of 1080p
- File Size: Submission through this portal is no larger than 500MB. Any entries larger than 500MB, please email them to email@example.com
- Duration: Video submissions must fulfil at least 60 seconds and no longer than 180 seconds in length
Name each jpg file according to the following template:
Subject Location_Category Code_Medium_Participant Name_Title_City.jpg/mp4
Example: INDIA_SP_VHM_JohnDoe_Mother and Child_Mumbai.mp4
SP=Street Photo/Videography OC=Ocean Photo/Videography
- After Thursday, 01.09.22, 23:59pm (GMT+8), submissions will be reviewed, shortlisted, and the top 3 for each of the 10 categories will open for public voting through Asian Geographic website. Voting channels will also be announced on the Asian Geographic Facebook page and Asian Geographic Instagram page.
- The voting for the respective 10 categories will close on Thursday, 08.09.22, 23:59pm (GMT+8).
- The Top 30 entries will enter a final round of Live Judging sessions during ADEX Ocean Vision on Friday, 16.09.22, 10:00am for a winner to be crowned from each category.
1. Read the contest rules carefully
2. Submit the online entry form (scroll down)
3. Pay your entry fee via the secure PayPal
4. Receive a confirmation email with your submission details
- Only photographs taken within Asia as outlined in the United Nations geoscheme for Asia will be eligible for the contest.
- Photos submitted must not be winning entries of any other competition in the past 6 months.
- Digital manipulation of photographs other than cropping is disallowed.
- Asian Geographic Magazines reserves the right to disqualify entries that do not adhere to the stipulated rules and guidelines or are obscene, vulgar, profane, libellous, false and pornographic in nature.
- Entrants should be the sole producer and owner of the photographs submitted.
Additional Rules for Youth Category:
- You should be 21 years of age and below on the day of submission. You are still eligible if your birthday falls on the day of submission itself.
- Written consent should accompany entries of participants who are below 16 years of age.
Additional Rules for Short Films Category:
- A feature film is defined as a work of fiction or non-fiction that equals or exceeds 60 minutes in length including opening and end credits.
- A short film is defined as a work of fiction or non-fiction that is 30 minutes or less in length including opening and end credits.
- Southeast Asia is defined as Cambodia, East Timor, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Brunei, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Asia is defined as Abkhazia, Afghanistan, Armenia, Artsakh, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, Egypt, Georgia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Cyrups, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, South Ossetia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen.
- The entrant is responsible for all necessary copyright clearances for material used in their submitted works, and shall fully indemnify the Festival from any damage resulting from copyright infringement lawsuits from other parties.